With a labyrinth of cultures represented in each nook and cranny of city, Houston is certainly one of the most ethnically numerous cities in America. To rejoice this world-class melting pot, we’ll be exploring a brand new area of the globe by means of a Houston lens every week, from annual festivals and museums to eating places and cultural experiences. Be a part of the journey with our Around the World in Houston collection.
This week, we’ll journey to South America for heritage festivals, language meetups, tango dancing, and conventional food and drinks, from empanadas and bandeja paisa to pollo a la brasa and pão de queijo. For an in-depth look, take a look at our Around the World guides to Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Peru and Venezuela.
Annual Festivals & Cultural Occasions
- Houston Latin Fest – Bringing collectively the cultures of the Caribbean and North, South and Central America, the Houston Latin Fest often takes place in late summer time, early fall.
- Houston Latino Movie Pageant – Take pleasure in cinema with out borders at this non-profit movie pageant, which screens movies from throughout Latin America, in addition to Spain, Portugal, and the U.S.
- Brazilian Independence Day Celebration – The Brazilian Basis hosts an annual Brazilian Independence Day Celebration, honoring Brazil’s wealthy tradition, historical past, and heritage via stay music, artwork, meals, and dance. The occasion is usually held in September, round Brazilian Independence Day (September 7).
- Houston Brazilian Carnaval – This annual Brazilian pageant marks the starting of Lent, with the celebration rocking reside drummers, DJs, beads, feathers, samba dancing and extra.
- Houston Colombian Fest Worldwide – This annual pageant brings collectively Houston’s Colombian group in celebrating Colombian Independence Day, with food and drinks, music and dance, and family-friendly actions.
- Peruvian Pageant – Sometimes held the April or Might, the Peruvian Pageant celebrates Peruvian tradition and heritage via Creole and Andean music, people dance, arts and crafts, and conventional meals.
Museums & Cultural Organizations
- Latin American and Caribbean Artwork at the Museum of High quality Arts, Houston – This division boasts a core assortment of recent and modern artwork with greater than 550 emblematic from Mexico, Central, and South America, the Caribbean, and works by Latino artists in the United States.
- Talento Bilingüe de Houston – Situated in the East Finish, this bilingual, non-profit cultural middle strives to reinforce Houston’s Latino arts expertise by means of collaboration, schooling, and preservation.
- Brazilian Arts Basis Houston – This nonprofit has been devoted to group constructing and cultural schooling since its formation in 2001. In 2006, a cultural middle was established in the historic Houston Heights. Actions every little thing from language classes to capoeira (martial arts) packages and samba workshops, plus a Houston Brazilian Dance & Music Convention.
- Brazilian Basis – Launched by a gaggle of Brazilian pals in 2015, this native nonprofit focuses on artwork, cultural schooling, and knowledge. Yearly actions embrace artwork reveals, workshops, fundraising occasions, group media, scholarship and volunteer alternatives, and professional qualification programs. Look out for upcoming occasions on Fb.
- Casa Argentina de Houston – With a mission of selling the tradition and traditions of Argentina and Latin America, in addition to serving to charities, this native non-profit places on music and tango live shows, theatre productions, sporting occasions and historic celebrations of Argentinean tradition all through the yr.
South American Meals & Drink
Eating places & Bars
- 5411 Empanadas – It’s all about empanadas at this Downtown tunnel hideaway, which feeds a hungry crowd throughout breakfast and lunch crowd on Monday by way of Friday. Get the baked goodies full of deliciousness like Malbec beef, chorizo and patatas, and candy corn.
- Aji Peruvian Restaurant – This westside spot showcases Peruvian flavors by way of dishes like Lomo a lo Pobre, a Peruvian-style beef tenderloin, served with fries, candy plantains, steamed rice, and fried egg; Peruvian Seafood Rice, loaded with Peruvian aji sauce an steamed mussels, clams, squid, shrimp, and calamari; and Causa Limeña, a smashed potato dish layered with creamy hen or shrimp salad.
- Acai Brasil – Owned and operated by a Brazilian couple, this native enterprise strives to deliver correct acai bowls from Brazil to Houston. You’ll additionally discover genuine specialties like coxinha (savory croquettes), pão de queijo (Brazilian cheese bread), bolo de cenoura (Brazilian carrot cake), pao de mel (Honey Cake) and banana cake.
- Andes Cafe – This colourful East Finish kitchen spans the lands of South America, which means you’ll find genuine and scrumptious specialties from choripan sandwiches, morcilla (blood sausage) and Colombian-style hamburguesa to pollo a la brasa, lomo saltado, and arroz con coco (Venezuelan rice pudding).
- Arepa Xpress – Over in Spring, this day by day café provides quite a lot of cachapas, patacon, tequeño, and arepas with queso de mano, ham and eggs, avocado and hen salad, roast pork and extra. Don’t miss the cachitos, Venezuelan-style kolache.
- Argentina Cafe – Just a little piece of Argentina in the coronary heart of the Galleria, this café begins off vibrant and early with huevos revueltos (scrambled eggs) and toasted sandwiches de miga, with different choices together with selfmade potato gnocchi, lomito plates, and pizzas topped with Argentinean sausage.
- Avenida Brazil – With places in Clear Lake, Southwest Houston and The Woodlands, Avenida gives the conventional Brazilian churrascaria expertise, plus specials like an genuine Brazilian feijoada for Sunday brunch.
- Batanga – This Downtown hangout presents Latin American tapas and unique drinks, with stay music and a killer patio as well. Hit it to share plates of grilled beef skewers, yucca frites, and hen empanadas.
- Chama Gaucha Brazilian Steakhouse – This Galleria-area Brazilian steakhouse rocks 12 cuts of meat (together with the home specialty, picanha) and a garden-fresh salad bar.
- Colombian Delicacies Restaurant – This westside spot rocks traditions like arepa and tostones, sancocho de pollo soup, bandeja paisa platters, entire purple snapper with creamy coconut, deep-fried tilapia, and lengua (tongue) in salsa criolla.
- El Rincon Paisa Restaurante – You’ll discover genuine Colombian eats at this family-run restaurant, with choices together with breakfast locations, morcilla con arepa, tamal, picada, mondongo (tripe soup), bistec a la criolla, mojarra frita (whole-fried tilapia) and Colombian albondigas (meatballs). Wash it down with pure juices, mazamorra, and aguapanela.
- Emporio Brazilian Grill – Take pleasure in classics from Brazilian feijoada, farofa, and shrimp muqueca to churrasco misto and Brazilian hen strogonoff, plus a Saturday conventional feijoada buffet.
- Fabian’s Latin Flavors – Proper close to Market Sq. Park, this cool eatery boasts a Latin-inspired menu, with Colombian-style specialties together with bandeja paisa and milhoja dessert.
- Fogão Brazilian Churrasqueria – This Montrose steakhouse is household owned and operated, providing quick informal, Brazilian Churrasqueria-style eating. Get pão de queijo, empadinha (Brazilian pot pie) and coxinha de frango (hen croquettes) alongside a la carte meats or the countless Brazilian Market Bar.
- Gran Colombia Restaurante – Get traditions from morcilla (blood sausage) con arepa and shrimp in coconut sauce to bistek a la Criolla and milanesa at this Colombian restaurant on the northwest aspect of city.
- Gordi’s Arepas & Extra – Head to Downtown’s Conservatory meals corridor to take pleasure in handmade arepas with gourmand fillings from Berkshire pork stomach and Venezuelan cheese to shredded flank steak and candy plantain.
- Gusto Gourmand – You’ll discover Venezuelan and Mediterranean fusion at this Montrose hang-out, with Venezuelan specialties starting from shredded hen arepas and tequeños crammed with guava and cheese to pabellón and quesillo (caramel flan).
- La Guitarra Con Sazon Peruvian Delicacies – Expertise the numerous flavors of Peruvian delicacies, kissed with touches of Creole, African, native pre-Columbian, and Spanish. Dine on lomo and pollo saltado, pasta with creamy huancaina sauce, Peruvian beef coronary heart skewers, and scratch-made ice cream in flavors like lucuma, guanabana, and maracuya (ardour fruit).
- La Fogata Restaurant – On the southwest aspect of city, this Colombian restaurant presents conventional tastes from patacones (fried inexperienced plantains) to arroz con pollo.
- La Olla Restaurant – With places in Katy, Spring and Southwest Houston, La Olla boasts a menu of Colombian-style specialties from bandeja paisa and arroz con camarones to chuleta a la calima and hamburgesa. Cease by for reasonable lunch specials or feast at dinner.
- La Ruana Restaurant – Head to this westside hole-in-the-wall for conventional Colombian breakfast plates, soups, meats and seafood, bandeja paisa and extra.
- Latin Bites – This family-owned and operated restaurant takes inspiration from the wealthy culinary panorama of South America and Perú. Convey associates to share small plates and conventional entrees, from anticuchos skewers marinated in Andean peppers to Peruvian ceviche with corn “cancha”; and make sure to take a look at completely satisfied hour for nice offers on sips and bites.
- Los Perros – This Washington Ave meals truck slings arepas, burgers, and loaded Colombian-style scorching canine.
- Maison Pucha Bistro – This Heights newcomer from chef-owner Manuel Pucha is the end result of his 25-year culinary journey (which incorporates French eating places in each New York and Houston). Right here, Pucha reimagines French classics with a contact of his Ecuadorian heritage, from ceviche to Ecuadorian chocolate soufflé.
- Mi Recuerdo Colombian & Mexican Restaurant – This northwest restaurant mixes Colombian and Mexican fare, with choices from arroz con camarones to tamal valluno.
- Mi Pueblito – With places in Woodlake/Briar Meadow and Katy, this energetic Colombian restaurant presents an genuine eats and recent cocktails. Begin with arepas, buñuelos, ceviches, and aborrajados (deep-fried candy plantain), then transfer onto dishes like bandeja paisa (a rice, beans and meat plate with fried egg, plantain, avocado and corn patty), arroz con pollo, broiled entire snapper, coconut seafood stew and lengua en salsa criolla (Colombian-style tongue with Creole sauce). The eatery gives conventional breakfasts, desserts, and baked items like arequipe and flan, too.
- Mono’s Colombian Restaurant – Dine on shrimp in coconut sauce, fried purple snapper, and arroz con pollo at this Sharpstown Colombian spot.
- The Unique Marini’s Empanada Home – With two places in city, Marini’s has turn out to be a Houston cult favourite. Go to for flaky empanadas loaded with the whole lot from diced salami and raisins to fig, mozzarella, and walnuts. When you’re there, decide up some chimichurri and dulce de leche by the jar.
- Paisa’s Twin Colombian Restaurant – This westside spot presents genuine tastes like bandeja paisa, cazuelita de frijoles and lengua en salsa Criolla. Youngsters menus are additionally obtainable, that includes child bandeja plates, salchipapa and fries, and mini perro.
- Palma de Cera – Over at this Katy hang-out, you’ll discover dishes from Colombian-style empanadas and sanchocho de cola (oxtail soup) to pollo a la criolla and pargo rojo frito (whole-fried snapper).
- Pampa Grill & Market – You’ll discover significantly good Argentinean steaks, milanesas, meats from the parrilla, choripanes, candy and savory empanadas, provoletas and extra at this family-run grill and market. Decide up some morcilla (blood sausage) to go from the small market part.
- Patagonia Grill and Cafe – A chic Argentine steakhouse expertise might be had at this unassuming strip middle spot. Begin with a glass (or bottle) of wine and a few chorizo criollo and grilled provoleta, then transfer on to porcini ravioles, grilled trout a la parrilla, and tira de asado (brief ribs).
- Pastelitos Cafe – Expertise Latin and European flavors at this Power Hall café, with home specials together with Venezuelan pabellón criollo, arepas, and pastelitos (puff pastries) crammed with issues like black beans and candy guava cheese.
- Peru Café Categorical – At this West College hang-out, basic regional eats embrace huancaina-style yuca, Peruvian-style shrimp chowder, saltado de carne, and aji de gallina, to call a couple of.
- Peru Gourmand Restaurant – In southwest Houston, Peru Gourmand is a fan-favorite spot for pollo a la brasa, arroz chaufa, and saltado, providing family-style combos, lunch plates, and youngsters meals.
- Pollo Bravo – Peru meets Mexico at this native chain, with dishes starting from Peruvian-style ceviche and spaghetti to its signature rotisserie hen.
- Pollos El Rancho Restaurant – This restaurant is legendary for its pollo a la brasa, served with fries and recent salad; although you’ll discover different conventional dishes from the Peruvian delicacies as nicely.
- Saldivia’s South American Grill – The flavors of Argentina, Chile and Uruguay are on show right here, as are the sounds (catch reside tango and folklore music on Saturday nights).
- Sal Y Pimienta Kitchen – Wines from Argentina, Chile, and Uruguay combine and mingle alongside Italian, French and Californian numbers at this fashionable South American kitchen. Sip some when you dine on creamed corn empanadas, charcuterie and cheeses from Argentina, Italy, and Spain, stuffed canelones, beef Milanese, and mollejas a la crema (veal sweetbreads in cream sauce).
- Sur Latin Peruvian Delicacies – Simply west of George Bush Park, this strip middle spot rocks ceviches, causa limeña, lomo saltado and extra.
- Tango & Malbec – Half Argentinean steakhouse, half sultry tango and wine bar, this Galleria-area favourite makes for the final date night time expertise. Hit it to sip malbec, nosh on recent ceviche, crispy mollejas, and tender steaks from the parrilla, and take a look at particular occasions, together with reside Latin guitar, dance courses, skilled tango dancing and extra.
- Tasty Arepa – Discover this meals truck for a few of the tastiest arepa in city.
- Texas de Brazil – Hit this City & Nation churrasqueria to fill (and refill) up on every little thing from to recent Brazilian cheese bread and flan to hand-carved garlic picanha and moqueca fish stew.
Grocery Shops & Bakeries
- Fiesta Mart – With places throughout Houston, Fiesta presents a vigorous environment and no scarcity of taste. Store for locally-sourced produce, recent meats and seafood, housemade tres leches and baked items, and grocery gadgets like fruit nectars, frijoles, and yerba mate, the nationwide drink of Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay, and Southern Brazil.
- Houston Wine Service provider – Cease by Houston Wine Service provider to select up a bottle of Avua – Cachaça Amburana, a small batch, single sourced cachaca handcrafted by considered one of Brazil’s few feminine distillers.
- Pan Riko – Get buñuelos, almojábanas, and tamales tolimenses at this Colombian bakery and café.
- Risaralda Bakery – Hit this bakery for pan de queso, buñuelos, pan aliñado, breakfasts, and pure fruit juices and coffees.
- Sweets by Belen – Opened in 2016 by Peruvian-born Belen Bailey, this small Hillcroft bakery takes you to Peru and thru South America with a treasure trove of desserts. Get lucuma and cherimoya ice cream, milhojas full of dulce de leche cream, rice pudding, flan and extra.
- Tuttopane Artesanal Bakery and Café – This Venezuelan bakery and café gives treats like canilla bread, baguette, and sweets like Golfeados (Venezuelan sticky buns). You’ll additionally discover breakfast and lunch plates, from cachitos and arepas to soups to scrambles.
Language Courses, Schooling Facilities, Teams & Meet-Ups
- Habla Houston – Study to talk Spanish by way of weekly courses, interactive meetups and extra.
- Spanish over Espresso – Brush up in your Spanish language expertise with all-level courses that assist you to study by means of dialog. Program experiences embrace dinner events, recreation nights, scavenger hunts, and grocery purchasing.
- CCLS Portuguese Language Faculty Houston – Develop fluency in Brazilian Portuguese by way of the interactive program at this language faculty.
- Portuguese and Brazilian Meetup – Community and converse with fellow Brazilian expats and Portuguese language audio system.
- Latin Ladies’s Initiative – This nonprofit group strives to make distinction in the lives of Latin ladies and their households by offering each monetary and volunteer help to a number of native nonprofit organizations in the Houston group.
- Brazilian Pals in Houston – Be a part of this closed Fb group to attach with over 2,000 members in the Houston space.
- Tepuy Venezuelan Group of Houston – This non-profit group celebrates Venezuelan traditions, roots, and tradition in Houston-Texas. The group is open to everybody, providing cultural and group packages.
- Houston Argentine Tango Faculty – With courses held at the Continental MECA (Multicultural Schooling and Counseling via the Arts) constructing in the Sawyer Heights space, this tango faculty provides an escape from the every day grind and intro into artistic motion. Newbie, halfway, and superior classes can be found.
- Houston Tango – Be a part of a vibrant group of tango fanatics with this native Fb group, which covers every thing from dance workshops to tango shoe pop-ups.
- BBVA Compass Stadium – Fútbol followers can get their repair at this EaDo soccer stadium, residence to each the Houston Dynamo and the Houston Sprint.
- Minute Maid Park – Followers of Venezuela’s hottest sport can get their baseball repair by catching an Astros recreation at Minute Maid Park.
- Membership Tropicana – Dance the night time away to Latin music at this well-liked nightclub, which hosts musical acts, DJs, and specials like women night time.
- Colombian Folkloric Ballet – Shaped in 1983, this non-profit ballet firm promotes and preserves Colombian tradition amongst the youth of the rising Colombian group of the Larger Houston space. The group places on folkloric ballet performances, workshops, and group outreach packages all through the yr.
- El Venezolano de Houston – This Houston-based media firm provides print and on-line publications that inform, join and have interaction with Hispanics in Houston and close to areas. Lookout for a lineup of occasions, together with social mixers.